Pages

Thursday 22 August 2019

Pythagoras' theorem

published: Thursday 22 August
Edited: Monday 26 August

In math we have been learning about Pythagoras' theorem. Basically it is a way to figure out a side of a right angle triangle. Pythagoras said the A2 + B2 = C2. The letters represent a side of the triangle. C is always the hypotenuse. The Hypotenuse is the longest side of the triangle and is the side opposite the right angle. Sides A and B are the other two sides but it does not matter which is which.

Let's use this triangle as an example

On way you can lay out your workings is to first draw your diagram. Done. Next label it, done. Now write out what you are given 

A = 18
B = 10
C = ? = hypotenuse 

Ok now write out the proof,
A+ B= C2

Add you numbers into the equation
182 + 102 = C2

start working it out. Squaring a number (122) means timing the number by the number, (12 x 12.)
182 = 18 x 18 = 324
102 = 10 x 10 = 100
324 + 100 = 424

Now the equation says
182 + 10= 424 = C2

Now because it equals C2 we need to square root it. Which means finding the number that when times together will make the number. basically square rooting is the opposite of squaring, (number times the number,) So,

√424= 20.591

So side C is 20.591 cm long.

How easy was that. What? It wasn't!? I know. I made it very hard to understand. I'm not one to explain things easily.

Ok and if you're thinking 'ok this is all good and all but, WHEN THE HELL AM I TO USE THIS!?' well first calm down and second let me tell you. If, say, you were building a building and you were not sure if the corner was at 90o then you could use this, if... you have a triangle that is at a right angle and If you only knew the lengths of  two sides of it, you can then apply the Pythagorean Theorem to find the length of the third side.

Well you now know Pythagoras theorem, even if I still can't spell it.  Hope this was useful. If not.... then.... go on someone else's blog from Ay they might have it better. No they probably will have it better. 

GOODA BYEA!

8 comments:

  1. Hi, Michaela.
    I liked the enthusiasm of your blog post very much, but maybe refrain on the self-deprecation and the 'when the hell' part near the end. You're also able to spell 'Pythagoras' Theorem' completely fine, too. Your post explains the Pythagoras Theorem really well.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Summer
      Thanks for commenting. I know I can spell it, I used spell check. Also self-deprecation is fun =). But...... I will try not to do it in other posts
      Thanks again for commenting
      Michaela

      Delete
  2. hello michaela,
    nice work on doing all of your work,
    next time could you not say go to someone and say go to others it might reduce the amount of great comments you get.
    over all this is a really amzing blog thank you for teaching me a thing or two
    by liam 9ay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liam
      Thanks for commenting. I understand that by saying 'go to someone else's blog they might have it better' is not the best way to get comments but I don't really care about comments. Yes they are nice, and yes it might make me better at what I do, but if others can't understand it then they can go to someone elses to learn
      Thanks again for commenting
      Michaela

      Delete
  3. Hi michaela,
    What a great blog, much better than mine... nothing! I thought you explained it well but it still doesn't really tell me what a square root is or how to easily find it, but it's still a good blog post and WATCH YOUR TONGUE! Not literally but a younger audience might see this.
    Thomas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Thomas
      Thanks for commenting. Just for you =P. I can now watch my tongue. =). Anyway back on track, I will see what I can do about the square rooty thingy.
      Thanks again for commenting
      Michaela =P

      Delete
  4. Hi Michaela, I enjoyed reading your post. I like the way this post is layed out and easy to read. While saying that maybe you could fix some spelling errors and include Capital Letters where they are needed. Great Post Michaela!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rykin
      Thanks for commenting. I will see what I can do. I either have Capital letters everywhere or nowhere.
      Thanks again for commenting
      Michaela

      Delete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.