Pages

Tuesday 30 March 2021

Sofia Minson

For this artistic blog post, we are going to be looking at Sofia Minson, another Maori Artist. 

We had to watch this video and take notes. 

Again I will summerise. She is a Maori who takes inspiration from other religions deities  (Egyptian, Hindu, Maori, and Christain) 


This is the original artwork. Its name is Queen of Raa  I think.

Queen of Raa Maori woman portrait painting with moko kauae and Egyptian  crown by Sofia Minson | New zealand art, Polynesian art, Maori art

The image is of a Maori woman wearing a Religious crown/headpiece, however, it is not a Maori religious crown/headpiece. I think it may be a Hindu headpiece or an Egyptian one, I'm not sure.

A difference between Sofia and Tracey is that Sofia uses a canvas while Tracey uses newspapers as her canvas. Sofia also takes ideas from different mythologies and Tracey uses themes from the newspaper. Tracey also normally works in grids and Sofia works in full-page artworks. 

Again I think this is all I need to do. If not... whoops.

(Edit 13/8/21)

Sofia Minson uses subversion in her work by combining different religions and deities together in her artworks. 

1 comment:

  1. Kia Ora Michaela,
    Thanks for you post about Sofia Minson. If you are not sure about an image, you can use Google to search for it by typing in the words, "Minson The Queen of Raa, for example." This will provide you with some options. If you go to the gallery site New Zealand Artworks that sells Minson's work you will find the paintings title and some information about it subject matter that you can ako-learn to answer the questions.
    https://www.newzealandartwork.com/shop/product/221946/queen-of-raa/
    You've pointed out some basic differences between Minson and Tawhiao. How do they use subversion differently? You're on the right track, just think a little more about it. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.