Pages

Friday 8 May 2020

British migration to New Zealand.

In social studies we are looking at migration. one of the things we are looking at is the british migration to New Zealand. these are the questions we had to answer.

Page 1: Where did many choose to go instead of NZ and why? - North America, it was a shorter, cheaper passage across the Atlantic.

Page 2: How would people feel on the day they left? Sad, lonely Drearry, and unhappy

Page 2: What did they do for entertainment and distraction? Looking at the wild life, if you where in the higher calpra of people you would have books, cards and other things to pass the time.

Page 3: Describe the conditions in steerage. Poor. “Writing of the conditions in steerage, one cabin passenger commented, ‘Poor creatures, it is a horrible place between decks, so many people in such a small space, I wonder how they live’. Steerage passengers slept in tiers of bunks. They were provided with mattresses, but not bedding. Bunk space was cramped, and tables and forms occupied the spaces between tiers.”

Page 4: What were some of the issues people faced in storms, with food and hygiene? In storms, some beds were constantly wet, some people half-drowned in their bed. Food was tossed overboard even when it was still edible. Men were hosed down, and were allowed to go swimming, women were not given this privilege. Fresh water was also hard to get ahold of

Page 5: What were some of the sicknesses you got on board? Measles and scarlet fever.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michaela, Some interesting information in your post. I would not have wanted to be a steerage passenger! I think that the people who sailed from Britain to start a new life in a strange country were very brave.I don't think that I could have done it.
    Mrs McGirr

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.