Pages

Monday 2 August 2021

Pathos, Logos, and Ethos

 In English, we are learning about persuasive writing. As a part of that, we have to look up what pathos, logos, and ethos are. We have to give examples and definitions of each one. Here we go

Pathos - Is using emotions and Feelings to convince the reader/viewer/audience. A quick way to do this is to use, a cute animal, a sappy love story, a devastated family, a sad song, etc. 
An example of pathos is "If we don't do something about this issue now, we are all going to die!" 

Logos - Is using logic and reason to convince your audience. You can use statistics, graphs, charts, and or facts to do this
An example of Logos is "Over one hundred people have tried and tested this and over 80% of them agreed that this works.

Ethos - Is using ethics and ethical imperatives to help sway or convince your audience. This is done by making your audience believe that your way of thinking is the 'right' way to do things. 
An example of Ethos is "As a licensed builder I believe that if we do it this way, we will be done by Christmas."

We are doing this to become better writers and to write more convincing arguments. 

I currently don't have any questions about what we are doing, but I might add some later if I have one.

Links to websites I have gotten my info from
Studio Binder
Writing Explained.org
Your Dictionary.com

4 comments:

  1. Hi Michaela
    I really like your succinct explanations and examples and I'm glad you don't have any questions at the moment. Next time, you might want to consider using examples from actual advertisements that are common to all of us. I liked that you linked your sources, too. Keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mr Aitken
      Thanks for the comment. Next time I will try to add in common examples.
      Thanks angin.
      =)

      Delete
  2. Hello Michaela
    Ruby C here, I really liked your explanations of Ethos, Logos and Pathos, I found it really easy to understand which each one meant by just reading your statement of what they are. Not much that I can say that you need to change overall as its perfect overall.

    Keep doing your best and I cant wait to read more from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ruby.
      Thanks for your comment. I'm glad you liked my post.
      =)

      Delete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.