Pages

Monday 25 May 2020

Creative writing thingy for social studies.

In social studies we have to write a story/diary entries type thing of someone migrating from England to New Zealand. Here is my one, of a young lady (Early 20s) coming to the wonderful land of NEW ZEALAND!! 

16/3/1850
Dear Diary
Goodness that makes me sound like a teenage girl. Anyway, Work was like it always is. Hard, tiring, and boring. We got a new worker today, little Emmie. She is way too young to be in this type of work. Boss just doesn’t care. I took her under my wing, and I think she appreciated it. I know I would have liked someone to talk to when I first got there. How long have I been working there now? I think it's something like 15 years. A long time anyway. Ced provided dinner tonight. He found some decent food today on his way home. We had stew, with the scraps from last night. Right now, he is trying to get his children into bed. I’m lucky they let me stay with them. His wife, Meredith, Is like a mother to me. It’s mother's death day in a week. I just hope to be able to see her. Ced is telling Meredith about a poster he saw. Apparently it is about a new life in a distant land. There are better working conditions, better living conditions, Better everything. However it cost 15 pounds per person. Mother left me some money, however she told me to only use it in dire cermations. Would she be proud? If I left? 

10/4/1850
Dear Diary
Ceds little girl, Kath caught something and is in bed sick. I volunteered to look after her until she got better, but Meredith wouldn’t let me. I saw the poster yesterday, I think I may go for it. You need to pay extra to go into the cabins, but I don’t have that kind of money. Meredith said she would pay if I wanted. I quickly turned her down though. They need the money more than I do. I Just need to pay for the ticket, leave my job and pack. That's not hard. I will miss Ced, Meredith, Kath and Bill, but I can’t stay here anymore. The more I think about the better it seems. Clean air, less diseases, better living conditions. What do you think? That's a weird thing to say. Asking a book on their opinion.  Oh well. That's just me I guess. Weird. Crazy. Unusual. 


12/4/1850
Dear Diary
I Have the ticket! I also have quit my job. My boss wasn’t happy. Even after I explained why, he still yelled at me. Saying that Here in england life was fine, Perfect even. For him maybe. He doesn't have to live in the slumps. I do. He may not be at as big of a risk of disease, but I am. I want to leave, I have to leave, I can't stay any longer. Meredith helped me pack my things. The boat is due to leave tomorrow. I should probably get some sleep now. I hope I make friends in New Zealand. 

13/4/1850
Dear Ced, Meredith, Bill and Kath
I know I won’t be able to send this to you, but I need to write to you. We left port this morning, so sorry if my handwriting is sloppy. Most of the unmarried women have been crying, something about missing family or something of the sort. I don’t see the issue. Yes I miss you, but that's no reason to cry. I’ve spent most of my time on deck, watching the waves. Some men have come up to me, but I made it clear I was not interested. I know I need a husband. I know I have to stop being so ‘picky’ and just choose one, but I don’t like any of them. Meredith, how did you know Ced was the one? The food, is okay. It is mainly salted meat and potatoes, but better than back home. I guess I should head to bed. I’m writing this by a lantern light. Good night
Sincerely 
Miranda.M

20/4/1850
Dear diary
Not much has happened. I have felt sea sick a couple of times, but haven't thrown up yet. Men keep flirting with me, and I keep turning them down. I will amitte, there is A man, William Conwall, who I may fancy. I am not saying anything though. He is one of the only decent men. He talks to me like I am an equal, a person, not an object. All the unmarried women on the ship are jealous of me. They’ve made that clear. Young Mary seems to be the only one willing to talk to me. She says that they don’t like all the attention I’m getting. Well neither do I. William overheard us talking, and told us that the men had made it a challenge, one he made very clear he was not a part of. It was to see who could whoo me. Honestly I wasn’t surprised. Other than when I'm talking to William and Mary, I am usually watching the waves, people watching, or making up stories in my head. I know it's a bad habit, especially when I start mouthing the words. Mary told me it looks like I'm a witch muttering spells or like I'm a psycho, especially when I make weird facial expressions as well. I am now very careful when I find myself making stories.

9/5/1850
Dear Ced, Meredith, Bill, Kath 
Hello. How are you going without me? I hope you're well. I have made two friends , Mary Merywather and William Conwall. Before you ask, no, I do not have feelings for Will. You know how I said that some men were talking to me? Well it was more like flirting with me, well Will said that they had made it a challenge, to see who could whoo the unwhooable young lady. No one has succeeded. The other ladies are jealous of me, of all the male attention I’m getting. Well I don’t like it either. I should end this here. A storm is due to hit us, and last time everything got soaked. I’m just hoping I can keep this dry. 
I miss you
Miranda.

21/5/1850
Dear Diary.
We passed a ship going back to England today. I gave them my letters to the family. I was lucky and wasn’t soaked this time. I’m in a middle bunk (They are in groups of three) so I’m off the floor, and covered from the roof. I wrapped the letters in my clothes and made sure my trunk was closed tightly, so they wouldn’t get wet. Lucky it worked. Many of the people in the steerage have caught something, either Scarlet Fever or Measles. I haven’t yet. Will asked what I planned on doing when I got to New Zealand. I said become a teacher, because that's one of the only things a Woman can do apparently. Will nodded and said he would like to be a farmer, something he did as a child before he was forced into the factories. I have taken up drawing as a way to pass the time. It is quite calming, kids laughing, the booming laughter from one end of the ship, quiet conversations, the rock of the ship, going up and down on the waves, the sound of the waves hitting the hul. It's nice. 

2/6/1850
Dear Diary
Nothing has happened of any importance since the last time I wrote. I have continued to draw, talk to Will and Mary etc. It seems that Mary is finding more and more excuses not to talk with us though, so it's mainly just me and will talking. There are some very sick people, but no-one has died yet. All in all it has been kinda boring. We are due to dock this month or next. 

16/7/1850
Dear Diary
Land was spotted late this afternoon. We should be arriving by Tuesday. 

20/7/1850
Dear Diary
We landed today. It feels so weird for the ground under my feet not to move. Mary’s Aunt, who came on a different trip, met her at the dock. Mary introduced Will and me to her as ‘partners.’ We very quickly corrected her, saying we where just friends, to which she responded with ‘for now’ She has been teasing us since May. Her aunt thankfully dropped the subject, changing it to where we would be staying. I told her I planned to stay at a hotel, till I can get my own house. She Very quickly said that I would stay with them, as the hotels were not the best. She wouldn't take no for an answer. She also extended this offer to Will, though he said his friend had already offered him a spot on his farm. It will be weird not seeing Will everyday, but Mary’s Aunt said she would take me to see him whenever I wanted. Will also promised to visit when he could. 

3/8/1850
Dear Diary.
I have a Job! I got it at the primary school twenty minutes from the house. I will be more of a teacher aid until I get more experience. Will took me out to a  celebratory dinner when we Found out. Mary made me dress up fancy for it. I kept telling her that it was just two friends going out to celebrate one getting a job, not a date. She didn’t believe me. 

28/8/1850
  Dear Diary
As much as I hate to admit it, Will and I got together yesterday. Mary spent the next seven minutes after I told her, saying ‘I told you so’. So childish. I wrote to Ced, Meredith and the kids yesterday as well. Basically telling them that we got together, and asking how they are going. One of the kids at school gave me a flower I had never seen today. I searched it up and it turned out to be a Hebe Flower. It was a pinky color, and I put it on my desk.  

6/9/1850
Dear Diary

I got promoted to head of English today. I’m looking forward to seeing where that takes me. Will took me on a date last night as well. We went to the beach, and talked about the trip here, what we would be doing if we hadn’t got on that ship. If we weren't on the same boat. Will was anamit that we would still end up together, it would just be a harder/longer journey. I laughed at his poetic words. I will forever deine I said this, but I’m glad I met him. I’m glad he was the one man who saw me as a  person. The one I chose to love. 

Sorry about the chessey ending, I didn't know how to end it. But anywho, hope you liked it. 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.