Pages

Wednesday 14 August 2019

Similes and Metaphors

In English we are working on Figurative language. I have done Idioms and have moved onto Similes and Metaphors. Here are the tasks

Highlight the simile in these sentences

  1. My bedroom was as black as a cave in the depths of the earth.
  2. The classroom after school became as noisy as a gaggle of gabby geese.
  3. The cat capered along the fence top like a tightrope walker on the hire wire. 
  4. My anger crashed into me like waves against the shore.



Use a word from the list below to complete each simile
  1. The cloth was as black as Coal
  2. The wet ball was as slippery as an Eel
  3. My little sister is as playful as a Kitten
  4. The top of this table is as smooth as Silk
  5. I’ve been as busy as a Bee
  6. The lamb is as white as Snow

Silk
Bee
Kitten
Coal
Eel
Snow 


For each of these sentences is it a simile or a metaphor?
  1. As slippery as an eel. Simile
  2. Arnie was a man-mountain. Metaphor
  3. He was a lion in battle.  Metaphor
  4. She is as pretty as a picture. Simile
  5. The striker was a goal machine. Metaphor
  6. The torch lit up the room as if the sun had already risen early. Metaphor?
  7. The moon was a misty shadow. Metaphor
  8. My friend has a face like thunder. Simile

A question mark means I'm not sure.

I now have to write some of my own

1. Her cat was as sneaky as a ninja
2. His tears were as salty as the sea
3. The car jostled us around like a washing machine
4. The tree falling sounded like a bomb going off
5. Their hair fell like waves over their shoulders
6. The girl screeched like an owl
7. The bird was as dead as a dead man could be.
8. They ran like the wind on a blustery day.

What have I learnt. I have learnt, things. Like..... um........ things. I can't think of anything. ='(
How does this work show my learning. Well if I didn't learn anything how can I show my learning?
What am I wondering. I am wondering what did I learn. I DON'T KNOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.