Pages

Tuesday 2 April 2019

Distillation experiment

This is for an experiment I am doing on separating coke

 Aim:separate the solute from the solvent in coke
Hypothesis: I think that the liquid will evaporate into the tubing and then condense back into the test tube leaving the solids (solute) will be left
Equipment: coke, conical flask, heatproof mat, delivery tube and bung, bunsen burner, tripod, gauze mat, retort stand, boss head and clamp boiling tube
Method: place some coke into the conical flask, place the bung into the top of the flask. place the whole thing on to the gauze mat on top of the tripod. put ice into a beaker and stick a test tube into the ice. place the other end of the bung tube into the test tube. put the bunsen burner under the tripod. light the bunsen burner. wait for the coke to boil. record your results
Results: the liquid evaporated into steam and traveled into to the delivery tube, it turned back into a liquid and dripped into the test tube, leaving a black sludge of the sugar and any other solids in the coke. with the normal coke it left more sugar and sludge than the coke zero and sugar free coke.
Conclusion: my hypothesis was correct because I thought the liquid would evaporate into the tubing and then condense back into the test tube leaving the solute will be left. 
Discussion: the heat from the bunsen burner heated up the coke until it boiled and evaporated then the coolness of the tubing cooled down the steam till it turned back into a liquid. 
Evaluation: My experiment was successful because the liquids were able to go from one point to another. A little steam did escape so I would put another bung in the test tube so the steam can't escape next time 


1 comment:

  1. Awesome work Michaela, you used the scientific method headings well. You had a very thoughtful evaluation.

    ReplyDelete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.