Pages

Thursday 27 June 2019

MATHS-coutulating the squares on the edge of an even grid

Hello. In math today Mr Ress got us to work out how many squares are in the outside of a 10 x 10 square. We have found 6 ways of doing said ecation. two of the ways is on that I found which is  (n-1)+(n-1)+(n-1)+(n-1)= a
A= the answer and N= the number so this turns into... (10-1)+(10-1)+(10-1)+(10-1)=36 or it could be 9+9+9+9=36. Are you confused yet? Because I am. If we were to simplify this then it would be 4(n-1)=a or 4 x 9 = 36. Now if you are wondering how I got n-1,  it is because when you count the sides you end up counting the corners twice and so you just take one  AGGG!  well I can't explain. Um here is a picture that explains it a bit better than I can




Another way, is 4n -4. Or 4 x 10 - 4 because you have your 10x4=40 but you have counted your corners twice so you just get rid of one of the times by taking away 4 so you have your anwer, 36.


here are all the ways to do it 


I know this was hard to understand, I can't seem to find a way to explain this easily. Sorry for making it so hard to understand. I wouldn't of posted this but I had to. Sorry. Can you think of any other ways of doing this?

2 comments:

  1. hello micheala, i like the way you did the ones you understood.
    by the rest you included your ways of working out twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello
      thank you for commenting Liam. That's all I can think of saying
      Thanks again for commenting
      Michaela

      Delete

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.