Pages

Monday 27 July 2020

Novel study - Children of Blood and Bone.

In English we have started novel studies. The book we are looking at is called Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyemi. After we finish a chapter, we have to make a link to a part in the chapter. Here is Chapter 1 and 2. I only did 2 though

Chapter 1 - Zélie
I move to help her, but she slaps my hand away. “Ode!”
Fool, she scolds me in Yoruba, the maji tongue outlawed after the Raid. I haven’t heard our language in so long, it takes me a few moments to remember what the word even means.

This could be compared to New Zealand history. Māori language was oppressed for so long, which has led to us not knowing the language so well anymore.

Chapter 2 – Zélie
“It’s a diviner tax.” I grip the draped fabric of my pants, still haunted by the guard’s touch. “They came for Mama Agba, too. Probably hitting every home in Ilorin.”
Tzain presses his fists to his forehead as if he could smash through his own skull. He wants to believe that playing by the monarchy’s rules will keep us safe, but nothing can protect us when those rules are rooted in hate.

This could be compared to Black people at the moment and how things are unfair for them, and the rules seemed to be made out of hate. It can also be related to Apartheid when the whites avoided the Blacks, like the norms are avoiding the Diviners.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.