Pages

Tuesday 28 July 2020

Novel study - Children of blood and bone (Chap 3 - 13)

In English we are doing a novel study on the book Children of blood and bone by Tomi Adeyemi. After we read the some of the chapters we write a statement on a connection to the real world, a message we took from the scene/passage, or wondering that we have. I'm a bit a head, so here is Chapters 3, 4, 9, 13. 

Chapter 3 – Amari
“I am afraid not, Your Highness. I saw it with my own eyes. Their magic was weak, but it was there.”
Skies…
What does this mean for us? What shall happen to the monarchy? Are the maji already planning an attack? Will we have any chance of fighting back?
Memories of Father before the Raid play in my head, a paranoid man with grinding teeth and forever graying hair. The man who forced Inan and me into the palace cellar, placing swords in our hands though we were far too young and weak to lift them.
The maji will come for you, he warned. The same words every time he forced us to spar. When they do, you must be prepared.
A message I take from this scene is That, they think all the maji are bad and dangerous. They seem as if they are jealous of them, so they project their jealousy as hate.


Chapter 4 - Zélie
I bite my tongue. There’s no point in arguing. Strong and handsome Kosidán that he is. Tzain doesn’t understand why I need Mama Agba’s training. Boys in Ilorin try to be his friend, girls try to steal his heart. Even the guards flock his way, singing praises of his agbön skills.
He doesn’t understand what it’s like to be me, to walk around in a diviner’s skin. To jump every time a guard appears, never knowing how a confrontation will end.

A message I take from this scene is that Zelie has a slight resentment to her brother because everyone seems to want to be his friend, and he doesn’t have to be afraid when a guard comes knocking, while Zelie, as a deviner, is afraid when the guards come because one wrong move can mean her death, and non-diviners don’t want to be around her Because then the guards attack them as well


Chapter 9 – Zélie
“Mama, are you okay?”
Tears come to her eyes, spilling into the wrinkles of her dark skin. “It’s been so long,” she whispers. “I never thought I would feel the warmth of magic again”

“I feel,” she chokes through her silent sobs. “I feel like I can breathe again.”

I feel that when Mama Agba’s magic disappeared, it would feel like a huge whole in her chest would have opened up, and her touching the scroll and getting some of that back would fill that hole and make her feel like herself again.


Chapter 13 - Zélie
I turn back toward Amari and try to let it go. But in her eyes, I see her brother’s. I feel his hands choking me.
“I want to trust her—”
“No, you don’t.”
“Well, even if I did, I can’t. Her father ordered the Raid. Her brother burned down our village. What makes you think she’s any different?”

A message I take from this scene is That Zelie is scared that Amari will betray them, and can’t let go of that fear. She can’t forget what Amari’s family did, even if Amari herself had nothing to do with the raid.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.