Pages

Friday 17 June 2022

Klara and the Sun

 Hi, I'm not dead!

We have been reading Klara and The Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro in English. We just finished it and here are some things we have to do. 

1. Read the Guardians article (This one)

2. Read the New York Times article (That didn't work, so no link sorry) 

3. Locate 3-5 new vocabulary words in the articles and define them.
- I don't like these tasks as I already have a large vocabulary and very rarely come across a word I don't know. And if I don't I can work it out by the context clues around the word. That being said. have some interesting words and their definitions. 

        -ludicrous: so foolish, unreasonable, or out of place as to be amusing.
        -scientism: thought or expression regarded as characteristic of scientists.
        - beguiling: charming or enchanting, often in a deceptive way.

4. According to the articles, what important themes/ideas do 'Klara and the Sun' raise? Answer in complete sentences, with accompanying explanations as necessary (think of who your audience is)
    -Honestly, I have no idea. I have read the article multiple times and don't know. I know we are looking at what it means to be human/have personhood, and that's kinda the theme, but apart from that, I don't know. 
        -Class ideas 
                - Identity - who are you really? 
                - Faith - Praise to a deity (The Sun) 
                - Loneliness - Lockdown
                - Mortality - you will die
                - Relationships 
                - Discrimination - rich vs poor - Haves vs Have-not - "Lifted vs Not Lifted" 
                - Ethics
                - Enviroment - "Big bad guy" = Polution 
                - AI - Replacing us
                - Personhood

5. Locate another article about Klara and the Sun and record something new that you learned after reading it. Link the article in your post.
        - Didn't have time to do this one sorry. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A sentence to let us know you actually read/watched or listened to what I had to say
3. Something thoughtful - how have you connected with my learning? Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.